Friday 15 February 2013

'The' Impossible..

I was just googling the word to see if it threw up some more inspiration for Anne's prompt. How could I have forgotten? 

Two weeks ago Col and I went to see the film 'The Impossible'; it is based on the true story of a family who like many others were caught up in the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami.  I think the title is kind of strange because it doesn't really tell or remind people what the film is about, depsite being quite descriptive, so I have found many people have not heard of it, let alone seen it.

We have a kind of close feeling about the events as we had just been on our first family holiday to the Maldives, taking all the kids away for the first time since they had become 'handle-able' so to speak!   I wrote about the holiday in my serendipity post here. We had been home a couple of days and celebrated Christmas before being rooted to the TV all day Boxing Day as the events unfolded, and unfolded some more. 

The film is very good. Yes, it obviously has some CGI, how else would they portray the events of the day, but it is very believeable and you never feel like you are watching something made to 'entertain' you, which I also like because how could you if so many were lost. ( I just found this which just shows how the director was aware of this too..this. )

What made me really think was how damaging just being in the huge swell of water must have been as the flow got underway. You imagine being in a big surf and that, for me, not being keen to get my head fully under water, is bad enough, but the film makes you realise how the water is soon carrying trees, cars, gates, windows, anything in its path.   The scenes reminded me of the opening scenes of Private Ryan, where the bullets could be seen and heard piercing through the water...  conjuring images and sounds you had not quite imagined but once seen, the realisation of how awful was quite apparent ....so very poignant and very, very memorable, and I'm not one for being able to relive film scenes...

Dear Kate, she also went to see the film, after us, her chap said he still hasn't seen it.. as he spent the whole film consoling her. She said it made her cry from the start, when the family were on the plane to the holiday.. poor hunnie, sometimes you feel sad inside and a film just nudges you doesn't it...x

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I heard about it, but I don't think I could see it now. I watched the Artist yesterday and I cried, so I think I might need to wait a bit for the Impossible as it must be extremely moving and distressing.
    I saw the start of Private Ryan many times but each time, I couldn't go through it either. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I have heard of this one but have no wish to see it to be honest. Glad you enjoyed it though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Col seem to like the same kind of films, we missed this so will get it on Love Films sometimes :)
    Wed we saw 'Give it a year', hilarious and actually ;aughed out loud at times and yes it was rude but funny!! Off to see Argo next week

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was on our list to see but we missed it but will definitely be catching up with it when it comes out later on.
    The boxing day tsunami was a strange day for me, made stranger of course by this shocking event and put into perspective. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for remembering the film, I dont think i could watch it, would be too upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is on my list to see too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of it yet and I'd quite like to see it. Reading your post made me think of the last Japanese tsunami - the video clips were horrible and I wished all the time it was a film and not real disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not heard of this film. I will have to look for it. It sounds good but I will probably cry through the whole thing as well. We have had some horrific hurricanes, tornados, and thunderstorms but I cannot imagine a tsunami. The thought of those walls of waves terrifies me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)