Sunday 4 November 2012

365/309 Paper and A dark & stormy night...

..for Story Telling Sunday over at Sian's place! here!

My Mum used to tell us stories about a fictional character called Jan Stone, I am sure there was one in everyone's village folklore, but as a kid I was sure that someone really knew him.  

He wasn't blessed with being at the front of the queue when they were handing out the intelligence and poeple loved to tell stories about him.... the one I remember best was when Jan was round at his girlfriend's house, probably somewhere St. Buryan I believed, and in came some real bad weather.  

'Jan,' said his girlfriend's mother, 'the weather has come in bad and it won't be very good walking the three miles home on a night like this, so you had better stay here, we can make up a bed in the living room.'

'Proper job' said Jan  and settled down for the evening.  After supper about ten o'clock Jan got up and went and put on his coat.  'Where you off to Jan?' asked his girlfriend's mother...

'Well if I aren't goin' home I'd best nip and let Mother know as she will be expecting me'

It's kind of a nice story not so easily understood in today's age of mobile phones and the internet..

Paper: altered paper and added paper to be fair.. some images of the part finished altered book I worked on yesterday.  I plan to add images of underwater with the kids on holiday..but the plates and drawings are lovely themselves!

This first one has a backing paper from a Tim Holtz stamp and my favourite core papers added!
Yes, even the packaging of his stuff is good and the whole project would be dead but for Distressed Ink!




This right hand page was some layering I did but didn't like enough for the front cover.. thanks to Margaret for the hessian, Pat for the ribbon.. oh and my knicker drawer for the lace!

.. and I have caught up, two blogs below, but not very newsy.. promise to 'do better'!! xxxx

PS Looking forward to our challenge next year my bloggers!  xxxx

14 comments:

  1. What a cute little story! Jan sounds like a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognise those illustrations - well figured I did and was pleased to spot the title at the top :) I like the layering you did and the story was nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute story. made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at the story. your books looks lovely and will be georgeous when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story Kathi :) Surely he also goes by the name of Denzel Pembworthy ;) Your Mum was obviously also a great storyteller too so now we know where you got it from.

    The book pages are beautiful, I love them. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, great story ! I like your altered book pages. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathi - it's great to see you back with us again this month.

    I love your story - you have reminded me of two old characters who used to live in a cottage just outside of town when I was teenager..it's the kind of thing they would have said!

    You book pages are indeed stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - I love this book - I did my first A level art piece using the imagery from Mabel Lucie Attwells illustrations.

    I was down your neck of the woods this weekend - Kennack Sands(well, a little way away) to be precise. Never seen so much bloody rain! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story, made me laugh out loud.
    The book illustrations are wonderful with their earthy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very amusing story and love what you done to the book

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a funny story! I needed a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen millen discharge workshop provides you with high-class quality evening dresses. Karen millen outlet dresses www.karen--millenoutlet.com are frantic trading onto the the human race on the [url=http://www.karen--millenoutlet.com/]Karen millen outlet[/url] refined workmanship. Understandable on!

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)