Tuesday 11 September 2012

365/255 Hair

Well like Anne I have featured 'hair' several times before, especially Kate's which has many guises and is very photogenic, so I will need to be inventive for this prompt.

First I will tell (at Janice's request) a bit more about the laser hair removal treatment I mentioned last week. I may delete this later as it is quite personal but as I have only about 20 views per blog entry maybe I won't, you either know me or you don't..and you can't see me cringing can you??

So....having been a long time spender (and by long time I mean over twenty years) of money on the disguise and removal of tedious facial hair I have put off looking into laser treatment for ages. Bleaching, waxing and also years of electrolysis, on and off.. which I became expert at tolerating, so much so that the repitition of the needle has been known to relax me almost to sleep!...I gave up electrolysis when my fortnightly treatment lady decided to go away for six weeks without supplying cover..enter the hairy women of the village !!!

.. so back in April I was at the point of having waxing treatments costing about £20 a time every fortnight, enough was enough.. this was nowhere near a permanent fix, sometimes it seemed to reduce the effect but being very dark haired I have always found it hard to face(!) the waiting days between treatments and the awful varied cycles of growth which can be quite unpredictable.

So I booked in for some laser treatment at the (private) Duchy Hospital, I thought it would be the best option, thinking they would have the most up-to-date equipment and be a more proven solution than at a beauty salon. It's called Soprano.. the first day they did a trial patch and as it was okay the next we went for broke, the whole lip and chin.  The put gel on you like for an ultrasound , to keep your skin cool, it is kiind of tingley but not painful, I do feel a bit tense but I think that is more about the idea of it being 'a laser'

The most worrying bit of the consultation was when they said to shave, not wax or pluck during the treatment period, but to be fair the growth is much slower and I can live with this.. they reckon 4-8 treatments will pretty much sort it...well, they mention hormones and no promises are made about the success but it has helped me and I reckon I am quite a 'bad' case!   

The cost was always an issue to me too, but I thought it would be a big one-off payment, but not so, I pay per visit , now less than once a month. So far it has worked out twice the cost of the waxing in the same period but I feel so much better and over time it will definitely pay off. The cost was about the same as six waxings but I have had treatments every 4 then 6 weeks and I can eek it to 8, the cycle of growth varies but I reckon I am 500% happier and do not have the grim waiting time in between.

Best of all now I can get my nails done and enjoy the trip to the beauty place!

So.. ask if you want to know more!! I know I have blabbed on, but I kind of do that when there is something I feel passionate about.

.. and here's my hair pic for the day..South of France? nah, St Michael's Mount..

8 comments:

  1. You are courageous, I would be a bit scared, but on the other side, if you are so happy with it, it's definitely worth it.
    You are blessed with such a weather ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing, I am cursed with the hair too so might be looking into this option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathi well done you on 'comingout' with something lots of women don't talk about! Or find difficult to tell a friend she needs to do something about her hairy lip!
    I was really interested as I have had electrolysis every 2 weeks for last 10years at least.... as some facial hair became stiff and wiry IYKWIM!! I am gald you spoke of feeeling relaxed during treatment as I can almost go to sleep during it too!! Never had the hair waxed as I don't fancy complete nudity of the very fine facial hair!!

    Good luck on the rest of the treatment and don't forget to tell women you met either, you may be doing them a favour like Helen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Kathi! This is a great post and very helpful. Congratulations.
    A picture - you are stunning!
    ***
    I started this day with your blog but I need time ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have had electrolysis for a number of years as I take after mum and am hairy. Now I very rarely need to go as nearly all the heavy hairs have gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for sharing. I sometimes think that some women think others just don't have these issues. I said to Mum, no they just deal with it rather than put up with it. I wax at the moment but this sounds like a plan if it gets difficult. You look so glamorous it works a treat xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, good for you - I have known people who bleach, and I knew a lady who went for the laser, but she was blonde and they said it was harder for the laser to deal with than darker hair. She warned me that facial hair would curse me as I got older. Something to look forward to there, then. I am going to blog about female hair at some point as I have a lot to say about it ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

I am hoping that 'Anonymous' has stopped stalking me with his Spam now, but may have to put verification back on if it comes back.. I just can't buy any more over the counter drugs or Louis V handbags girls!! ;-)